UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center
A community hospital located in Anne Arundel County, situated between Baltimore, Annapolis, and Washington, D.C., UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center is a 310-bed facility with over 600 physicians on the medical staff. Its numerous areas of specialization include cardiology, orthopaedics, obstetrics, emergency care, vascular care, spine and neurosurgery, stroke and oncology.
UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center offers specialty care in over 50 areas. Its centers of excellence include:
Spine & Neuroscience Center
Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine Center
UM Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology
To learn more, visit mybwmc.org.
Patient Tower Expansion – Construction began in spring 2015 to convert the 7th floor of the hospital into new private patient rooms. Project should be complete in 2016.
Surgical Critical Care – New surgical intensive care unit opened in 2013 to expand critical care services through additional surgical intensive care beds and surgical intermediary beds.
- Surgical Suite Expansion – In 2011, UMBWMC opened a $31 million surgical suite expansion. It offers the latest technology for spine, neurosurgery, vascular, orthopedics and robotic surgical cases. The project also included a 30-bed prep and recovery area and a new, modern waiting room.
- Cardiac Care – A newly renovated cardiac catheterization laboratory, a 24-bed intensive care unit and a step-down unit allows us to provide a wide range of services for patients with heart disease or disorders. UMBWMC is also designated a cardiac interventional center.
- Inpatient/Outpatient Expansion – In 2009, UMBWMC added a $117-million inpatient tower with 111 new private patient rooms. The expansion also includes the addition of obstetric services and a satellite location of the University of Maryland Center for Advanced Fetal Care, as well as outpatient services including the Wound Healing Center, Outpatient Infusion Center and Sleep Center.
- Vascular Care – In 2007, UMBWMC brought to the region the latest vascular technology with the addition of an endovascular suite for minimally invasive vascular treatments. It includes a highly advanced patient monitoring system and state-of-the-art intravascular ultrasound system. UMBWMC is one of the first locations in the country to combine these technologies in a single, interventional room.
Recent Clinical/Programmatic Developments
- Tate Cancer Center was accredited by the Commission on Cancer and the American College of Surgeons as an Academic Comprehensive Cancer Program (ACAD) in 2015
Recent Developments and Achievements
- Awarded the 2015 Patient Safety Excellence Award from the Healthgrades, given to the top 10 percent of hospitals who were top performers for their scores related to patient safety, according to claims data from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services on hospital stays from 2011 to 2013
- Awarded the Delmarva Foundation for Medical Care’s 2014 and 2012 Delmarva Foundation Excellence Award for Quality Improvement
- Received the Mission: Lifeline® Gold Plus Receiving Quality Achievement Award in 2014 for implementing specific quality improvement measures outlined by the American Heart Association for the treatment of patients who suffer severe heart attacks
- Received the American College of Cardiology Foundation's NCDR ACTION Registry – GWTG Platinum Performance Achievement Award for 2012