Baltimore is the largest city in Maryland and the center of one of the nation’s 20th-largest metropolitan areas. Along with its surrounding communities, it is home to nearly 2.6 million residents.
Living in Baltimore
- The average cost of homeownership is lower than other cities in the region. For this reason, you’ll find many professionals who work in cities like Washington, D.C. and Philadelphia make their home in this area of Maryland.
- For families seeking a warm, hometown environment, the neighboring towns and suburban areas, such as Catonsville and Perry Hall, offer a multitude of choices.
- A melting pot of cultures and neighborhoods, you’ll enjoy a delightful diversity of city living options in Baltimore. Among the fastest-growing communities are Fells Point and Canton.
Learning in Baltimore
Baltimore County has a great reputation for education.
- With over 240 private and academic primary and secondary schools in the area, and home to the third-largest public school system in Maryland, Baltimore public and private schools have garnered national and international recognition for their excellence in the fine arts and use of technology to enhance teaching and learning.
- There are 15 public and 26 private four-year colleges and universities in and around Baltimore, including the University of Maryland.
Working in Baltimore
- Bustling Baltimore is a hub for big business, and home to industry leaders in everything from heavy manufacturing to business and financial services to the latest bioscience and wireless technologies.
- Baltimore’s convenient location near major highways, such as Interstates 95 and 40, as well as regional transit options, such as the MARC train, commuter buses, and downtown subways and trolleys, makes it relatively "friendly" to commuters.
Relaxing in Baltimore
- From museums to wineries, world-class sports venues to the performing arts, there’s always something to do in Baltimore. Inner Harbor in downtown Baltimore is a weekend excursion in itself and, if you time it right, you can catch an Orioles or Ravens game!
- Baltimore County is rich in recreational opportunities and boasts 96 area parks, many with programs for youth and adults.
Sound appealing? Bring your career to a UMMS facility in the Baltimore area.
Other Useful Links